Program Evaluation: Non-EERE Publications
Many publications exist that are helpful for planning and managing an evaluation. The following are some suggested non-EERE publications.
Disclaimer: EERE cannot attest to the accuracy of any non-EERE information available at the linked websites on this page. EERE is providing these links for your reference. EERE does not endorse any non-government websites, companies, or applications.
Conducting Program Evaluations
Government Accountability Office (GAO):
- Designing Evaluations, 2012 Revision, GAO-12-208G, Jan 31, 2012 (Supersedes PEMD-10.1.4)
- Performance Measurement and Evaluation: Definitions and Relationships, 2011.
- Program Evaluation: Experienced Agencies Follow a Similar Model for Prioritizing Research, GAO-11-176, 2011.
- Program Evaluation: Studies Helped Agencies Measure or Explain Program Performance, 2009.
- Program Evaluation: A Variety of Rigorous Methods Can Help Identify Effective Interventions, GAO-10-30, 2009.
- Program Evaluation: OMB's PART Reviews Increased Agencies' Attention to Improving Evidence of Program Results, GAO-06-67, 2005.
- Program Evaluation: An Evaluation Culture and Collaborative Partnership Help Build Agency Capacity, GAO-03-454, 2003.
- Program Evaluation: Strategies for Assessing How Information Dissemination Contributes to Agency Goals, 2002.
- Program Evaluation: Studies Helped Agencies Measure or Explain Program Performance, 2000.
- Managing for Results: Views on Ensuring the Usefulness of Agency Performance Information to Congress, GAO/GGD-00-35, 2000.
- Program Evaluation: Agencies Challenged by New Demand for Information on Program Results, 1998.
- Managing for Results: Measuring Program Results That are Under Limited Federal Control, 1998.
- Program Evaluation: Improving the Flow of Information to the Congress, 1995.
- "Designing Evaluations, " GAO/PEMD-10.1.4, 1991.
Office of Management and Budget:
- American Evaluation Association. An Evaluation Roadmap for a More Effective Government, 2010.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The Program Manager's Guide to Evaluation, Second Edition, 2010.
- W. K. Kellogg Foundation. Evaluation Toolkit. W. K. Kellogg Foundation Evaluation Handbook. Battle Creek, Mich.: 1998, updated 2004.
- American Evaluation Association. Ethical Principles for Evaluators, 2004.
- U.S. Department of Education. Identifying and Implementing Educational Practices Supported By Rigorous Evidence: A User Friendly Guide, 2003.
- Rosalie Ruegg and Irwin Feller. A Toolkit for Evaluating Public R&D Investment: Models, Methods, and Findings from ATP's First Decade, 2003.
- Experimental and Quasi Experimental Designs for Generalized Causal Inference; Cook T.D., Shadish, William, and Campbell, D.T.; Boston: Houghton Mifflin; 2001
- Program Evaluation Methods: Measurement and Attribution of Program Results; Treasury Board of Canada, Secretariat; 1998
- Research Methods Knowledge Base; Trochim, William M.; Cornell University.
- Step-By-Step Guide to Developing Questionnaires and Survey Research Procedures for Program Evaluation & Research.
- University of Wisconsin — Extension — Evaluation Publications
- What is a Survey Series? American Statistical Association
Below are some relevant publications and resources to assist you in preparing a logic model.
- Department of Justice. Developing and Working with Logic Models.
- Using Logic Models in Managing Performance of Research and Technology Programs: An example for a Federal energy efficiency and renewable energy program, Jordan, Gretchen; Mortensen, John; Reed, John; Teather 2004
- University of Wisconsin — Extension: Logic Models — W. K. Kellogg Foundation, "Logic Model Developed Guide: Using Logic Models to Bring Together Planning, Evaluation, & Action;" 2001. wkkf.org