U.S. Department of Energy - Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
Bioenergy Technologies Office
Breakout Track 1 - Coordinating Basic/Foundational Science and Applied R&D
Technical breakout tracks offered Biomass 2010 participants the opportunity to attend sessions focused on specific topic areas and engage in dialogue in a smaller group setting. There were four breakout tracks, each with distinct sessions.
This technical track highlighted U.S. Department of Energy biomass research models, facilities, and integration across programs and agencies.
Presentation slides, if available, are provided in PDF format. Download Adobe Reader.
Coordinating Basic/Foundational Science and Applied R&D I
Single Investigators to Small Team Research – A focus on Department of Energy activities with the Department of Agriculture Small Business Innovation Research, Energy Frontier Research Centers, and DOE's Advance Research Projects Agency-Energy.
Gail McLean, Program Manager, Photosynthetic Systems, Basic Energy Sciences, Office of Science, U.S. Department of Energy
- Dr. Wilfred Chen, Professor, University of California Riverside
- Steve Bobzin, Ph.D., Director, Technology Planning, Protection, and Acquisition, Ceres, Inc.
- Dr. Maureen McCann, Professor, Purdue University
- Liz Moore, Project Officer, Bioenergy Technologies Office, Golden Field Office, U.S. Department of Energy
Coordinating Basic/Foundational Science and Applied R&D II
Large Multidisciplinary Centers and Consortia – An exploration of existing and future multidisciplinary groups, including DOE's Bioenergy Research Centers and Algal Biofuels Consortia.
John Houghton, Physical Scientist, Office of Science, U.S. Department of Energy
- Mark Davis, BioEnergy Science Center, National Bioenergy Center, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Blake Simmons, Vice-President, Deconstruction Division, Joint BioEnergy Institute
- Dr. Jose Olivares, Executive Director, The National Alliance for Advanced Biofuels and Bioproducts, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Dr. Tim Donohue, Director, Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center, Professor of Bacteriology, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Coordinating Basic/Foundational Science and Applied R&D III
Department of Energy User Facilities – An exploration of facilities including DOE's Joint Genome Institute, the Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory (PNNL), the Integrated Biorefinery Research Facility (NREL), and the Process Development Unit (LBNL).
Joyce Yang, AAAS Science and Technology Policy Fellow, Bioenergy Technologies Office, Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, U.S. Department of Energy
- David Hoyt, Senior Research Scientist, Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Jim Bristow, Deputy Director, DOE Joint Genome Institute
- Jane Fisher, Senior Engineer, National Renewable Energy Laboratory