U.S. Department of Energy - Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
Building Technologies Office – Appliance & Equipment Standards
Small Electric Motors
This page presents information on test procedures, energy conservation standards, and rulemaking activities for small electric motors.
Part A–1 of title III of the Energy Policy and Conservation Act (EPCA) provides for an energy conservation program for certain commercial and industrial equipment (42 U.S.C. 6311–6317). In particular, section 346(b)(1) of EPCA directs the Secretary of Energy to prescribe testing requirements and energy conservation standards for those small electric motors for which the Secretary determines that standards would be technologically feasible and economically justified, and would result in significant energy savings. (42 U.S.C. 6317(b)(1))
On July 10, 2006, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) completed its determination analysis for small electric motors. In this study, the Secretary of Energy determined that energy conservation standards for small electric motors appeared to be technologically feasible and economically justified, and would result in significant energy savings. Accordingly, DOE developed test procedures to measure the efficiency of small electric motors. DOE will also evaluate whether to establish energy conservation standards for small electric motors, and if so, at what level.
DOE prescribes test procedures to measure the energy efficiency of certain single-phase and polyphase small electric motors in the July 7, 2009 final rule. In addition, it (1) incorporates by reference industry test procedures already in use for measuring the efficiency of these types of small motors, (2) clarifies definitions that apply to small electric motors, and (3) provides the requirements for determining small electric motor efficiency by testing or by application of an alternative method.
- Final Rule: Energy Conservation Program: Test Procedures for Electric Motors and Small Electric Motors, 77 FR 26608, May 4, 2012
- Supplemental Notice of Proposed Rulemaking: Energy Conservation Program: Test Procedures for Electric Motors and Small Electric Motors, Federal Register, 76 FR 648, January 5, 2011
- Final Rule: Test Procedures for Small Electric Motors, Federal Register, 74 FR 32059, July 7, 2009
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking: Test Procedures for Electric Motors, Federal Register, 73 FR 78220, December 22, 2008
- Electric Motors Test Procedures Public Meeting
Energy Conservation Standards
Notice of Proposed Rulemaking
Notice of Public Meeting and Availability of Preliminary Technical Support Document