U.S. Department of Energy - Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
Building Technologies Office
Improving the Energy Efficiency of Residential Buildings
Our residential research and deployment activities focus on improving the energy efficiency of U.S. homes.
The Building Technologies Office (BTO) works with residential building industry partners to improve the energy performance, quality, and comfort of existing and new homes. Learn about our work to improve residential buildings and access resources developed by BTO.
- Research Teams—Develop innovative efficiency strategies for the residential building market
- Systems Engineering—Whole-house approach to achieving higher quality and energy savings in homes
- Publications—Building America research reports, case studies, and the Best Practices series handbooks
- Builders Challenge—Voluntary industry partner initiative that helps to promote customer demand for high performance homes
- Competition—Overview of the Solar Decathlon, rules, contest, and application
- Teams—Listing of the 20 university-led teams selected for the 2011 competition
- Education—Resources for homeowners, building professionals, teachers, and kids