To facilitate successful market introduction of high-quality, energy-efficient SSL products for general illumination, DOE has developed a Five-Year SSL Market Development Support Plan. Download Adobe Reader. The plan draws on key partnerships with the SSL industry, research community, standards setting organizations, energy efficiency groups, utilities, and others, as well as lessons learned from the past.
Market development support activities are closely coordinated with research progress to ensure appropriate application of SSL products and avoid buyer dissatisfaction and delay of market development. DOE's role is to help consumers, businesses, and government agencies differentiate good products and applications; to widely distribute objective technical information; to coordinate SSL market development activities among federal, state, and local organizations; and to communicate performance targets to industry.
The plan focuses DOE resources on strategic areas that foster the market for high-performance SSL products:
- LED Lighting Facts promotes accuracy in reporting SSL product information
- CALiPER testing and analysis shed light on SSL applicability, trends, and state of the market
- Standards Development support involves technical assistance for standards-setting organizations to accelerate the development of SSL standards
- Technical Information Network spreads the word on SSL technology, performance, and appropriate applications
- GATEWAY Demonstrations offer critical field experience in real-world applications
- Municipal Solid-State Street Lighting Consortium shares technical information and experience on LED street and area lighting
- Design Competitions heighten awareness and market adoption of innovative, energy-efficient SSL products
- Market Studies and Technical Reports present objective market and technical analysis based on recent, referenceable data