U.S. Department of Energy - Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
Building Technologies Office – Market-Based Programs
The Consortium will pursue a number of demonstrations following the general procedure used by DOE's GATEWAY demonstration program. Specific products to be featured in a demonstration may be selected by the host site or may be suggested for a given installation by the Consortium based on the product's anticipated performance in that installation. In the latter case, products will be evaluated for suitability based on performance relative to other products in that particular installation. A given product, therefore, may be considered a good choice for one application but not compete as well for another application. Products offering substandard performance across the board, or with insufficient information to adequately judge their performance, are unlikely to be demonstrated.
To have products considered for demonstration by the Consortium, the manufacturer should provide all of the following information for each model submitted. Submissions missing one or more elements can be accepted, but may be disadvantaged relative to other products with complete submissions during the product selection process.
For each product submitted for consideration, the manufacturer should provide:
- Certification that the proposed product meets ARRA "Buy American" requirements
- See New Guidance and FAQs section in link
- Documentation does not have to be included with the submission but it must be provided if specifically requested by the Consortium
- Original (i.e., unaltered) LM-79 photometric reports from a qualified testing laboratory, including measured CCT and BUG rating.
- Absolute (not relative) "IES" photometric file(s) with ".ies" extension and formatted per ANSI/IESNA LM-63-02;
- Any IES files created by the manufacturer or derived from other test result files must provide a matrix clearly identifying which IES files have been so created, and associate them with the original LM-79 report(s) from which they were derived.
- Explanation of how the estimate of product lifetime was derived. Supplemental data or related information on driver reliability testing, lumen maintenance data collected per LM-80, etc., will be very helpful in this regard.
- Documentation detailing the effects of ambient temperature on light output, power consumption, and rated lifetime.
- Documentation indicating ingress protection (IP) rating for the optical system enclosure, as determined by an OSHA Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory per ANSI/IEC 60529-2004.
- An applicable warranty statement clearly detailing items covered and items not covered.
- Luminaire cutsheets clearly describing all portions of catalog numbers indicated in LM-79 report(s).
It is permissible to have a single set of information cover more than one product when that information applies equally across all the products (e.g., a family of products) being submitted. However, in cases where differences in output or distribution cannot be captured through use of a simple multiplier (e.g., a Type II vs. Type III distribution), separate LM-79 reports and IES photometric files must be submitted. Only information unique to the additional products needs to be submitted, accompanied by a written explanation of which documents are shared by which products. For example, three products in the same family that are identical except for their type distribution can be submitted together under a single set of the information above, except for the LM-79 test report and IES files. Each product distribution submitted requires its own photometric files.
All items pertaining to an individual product submission should be sent to email@example.com in a single email, to facilitate record keeping.
The Consortium is under no obligation to demonstrate a product or to explain why a product has not been demonstrated. The Consortium reserves the right to reject a product proposed by a host site for demonstration that is deemed unsuitable for any reason. The host site is free to pursue demonstration of that product independently.