Outdoor Lighting ResourcesDOE offers a variety of resources to guide municipalities, utilities, and others in their evaluation of LED street lighting products.
The following documents are available as Adobe Acrobat PDFs. Download Adobe Reader.
Tools assist users with project planning and analysis.
- Retrofit Financial Analysis Tool
The Retrofit Financial Analysis Tool provides municipalities, utilities, and other organizations a method of analyzing the cost and return-on-investment from lighting efficiency projects.
Specifications help determine appropriate performance characteristics for a particular lighting application.
- Model Specification for Networked Outdoor Lighting Control Systems
The DOE Municipal Solid-State Street Lighting Consortium's Model Specification for Networked Outdoor Lighting Control Systems helps cities, utilities, and other local agencies accelerate their adoption of systems that can further reduce the energy and maintenance costs of operating their streetlights
- Model Specification for LED Roadway Luminaires
The DOE Municipal Solid-State Street Lighting Consortium's Model Specification for LED Roadway Luminaires enables cities, utilities, and other local agencies to assemble effective bid documents for LED street lighting products.
- The Better Buildings Alliance (BBA) specifications below provide guidance and minimum performance requirements for key applications.
- BBA High-Efficiency Parking Structure Lighting Specification
Presents performance specifications for converting traditional HID parking structure lighting technology to high-efficiency alternative technologies.
- BBA LED Site (Parking Lot) Lighting Specification
Describes product performance specifications and evaluation procedures for using LED lighting in retail parking lots.
- BBA High-Efficiency Parking Structure Lighting Specification
Lighting Market Reports
Lighting market reports present objective market data and analysis.
Public Street and Area Lighting Inventory Phase 1: Survey Results
Presents the results of a voluntary web-based survey of public street and area lighting across the U.S., conducted during the latter half of 2013 and intended to improve understanding of the characteristics of public outdoor lighting in national energy use.
Energy Savings Forecast of Solid-State Lighting in General Illumination Applications
Forecasts the energy savings of LED white-light sources in the U.S. from 2013 through 2030 and includes an interactive model that allows users to explore how changes in key inputs are anticipated to change the market penetration, and subsequent energy savings, of LEDs.
SSL Pricing and Efficacy Trend Analysis for Utility Program Planning
Help utilities and energy efficiency organizations forecast the order in which important SSL applications will become cost-effective and estimate when each "tipping point" will be reached. Includes performance trend analysis from DOE's LED Lighting Facts® and CALiPER programs plus cost analysis from various sources.
Adoption of Light-Emitting Diodes in Common Lighting Applications
Estimates LED energy savings in nine applications where LEDs compete with traditional lighting sources such as incandescent, halogen, high-pressure sodium, and certain types of fluorescent. The analysis includes indoor lamp, indoor luminaire, and outdoor luminaire applications.
Technology Fact Sheets
Technology fact sheets describe solid-state lighting, its characteristics and applications, and issues related to successful market introduction.
- Establishing LED Equivalency
Guidance for comparing products based on LED or other light source technologies.
- Understanding LM-79 Reports
Discusses typical content of laboratory reports summarizing LM-79 test results for integrated SSL lamps and luminaires.
White papers explore critical issues that impact SSL technology and market adoption.
- Light at Night: The Latest Science
Update on current research related to nighttime exposure to light.
SSL Implementation Briefs
SSL Implementation Briefs examine the experiences of municipalities as they investigate and adopt LED street lighting technology.
- Iowa Municipalities Unite to Save Energy with LED Street Lighting
Describes the collaborative effort of 15 Iowa towns and cities to upgrade their streetlights to LED.
GATEWAY demonstrations showcase high-performance LED products for general illumination in a variety of commercial and residential applications.
- LED Street Lighting: Kansas City Report
Evaluation of nine different LED street lighting products compared to existing high-pressure sodium luminaires in real-world conditions. Kansas City Report
- LED Roadway Lighting: City of Philadelphia Report
Comparison of the performance of 10 different LED roadway luminaires relative to the incumbent high-pressure sodium luminaires. Philadelphia Report
- LED Roadway Lighting: Cully Boulevard (Portland, OR) Report
Evaluation of the initial performance of six different types of roadway luminaires installed in side-by-side groupings on a residential collector road. Cully Boulevard Report
Cully Boulevard Report Brief
- LED Roadway Lighting: FDR Drive (New York, NY) Report
Comparison of LED luminaires from four different manufacturers to incumbent high-pressure sodium luminaires, and evaluation of relative light output and performance. FDR Drive Report
- LED Post-Top Street Lighting: City of Sacramento Report
Assessment of the performance of LED technology in ornamental post-top street lights relative to existing
high-pressure sodium luminaires. Sacramento Report
- LED Roadway Lighting: City of Palo Alto Report
Assessment of energy, economic, and performance impacts of replacing high-pressure sodium street lights with LED and induction street lights. Palo Alto Report
Palo Alto Report Brief
- LED Street Lighting: Lija Loop (Portland, OR) Report
Analysis of the energy and performance impacts of replacing eight high-pressure sodium street lights on one residential street with LED luminaires. Lija Loop Report
- LED Roadway Lighting: I-35W Bridge Report
Analysis of Phase 1 results, completed in September 2008; Phase 2 involves long-term monitoring to evaluate lumen depreciation, physical effects, and performance impacts over time. Bridge Report, Phase 1
- LED Street Lighting: City of San Francisco Report
Study of performance of LED street lights from four different manufacturers, installed on four public avenues to replace 100-watt nominal high-pressure sodium luminaires. San Francisco Report
- LED Street Lighting: City of Oakland Report
Assessment of energy, economic, and safety impacts of replacing 15 high-pressure sodium street lights on two public streets with LED luminaires.
Oakland Report, Phase III
Oakland Report, Phase II
Oakland Report Brief, Phase II
CALiPER testing provides unbiased performance results for a widely representative array of commercially available SSL products for general illumination.
- Round 11 Summary Report
Includes results and analysis for products tested, including roadway arm-mount and post-top luminaires, linear replacement lamps, high-bay luminaires, and small replacement lamps.
- Round 10 Summary Report
Includes results and analysis for products tested, including parking structure luminaires, outdoor wallpack luminaires, cove lighting luminaires, and replacement lamps.
- Round 7 Summary Report
Includes results and analysis for products tested, including outdoor area and street lights, downlights, and replacement lamps.
Past webinars provide information about the Consortium and about LED street lighting programs and resources.
- Maintenance Practices for LED Streetlights
A presentation addressing maintenance and reliability issues with LED street lighting.
- Using the Street and Parking Facility Lighting Retrofit Financial Analysis Tool
A presentation on how the Street and Parking Facility Lighting Retrofit Financial Analysis Tool can be used to evaluate costs and benefits associated with converting to more efficient street and parking facility lighting.
- Adaptive Street Lighting Controls
Two-part DOE Municipal Solid-State Street Lighting Consortium webinar discusses the experiences of early adopters of adaptive street lighting control systems, and explores the recently released Model Specification for Adaptive Control and Remote Monitoring of LED Roadway Luminaires.
- MSSLC Member Case Studies - LED Street Lighting Programs
Presentations by DOE Municipal Solid-State Street Lighting Consortium member cities that provide information on planning, financing, and implementation of LED street lighting programs, and relate customer perspectives and lessons learned from their cities' installation process.
- Successful Selection of LED Streetlight Luminaires: Optimizing Illumination and Economic Performance
A presentation on the factors involved in successful selection of LED streetlight luminaires, with a walk through the modeling of a typical roadway layout — emphasizing key design elements for consideration.
- Municipal Solid-State Street Lighting Consortium Retrofit Financial Analysis Tool
A presentation on the Retrofit Financial Analysis Tool developed by DOE's Municipal Solid-State Street Lighting Consortium, including a guided walk-through of what the tool can do, and how to use it to evaluate costs and benefits associated with converting to LED street and roadway lighting.
- Solid-State Street Lighting Consortium Model Specification for LED Roadway Luminaires
A presentation on the Model Specification for LED Roadway Luminaires developed by DOE's Municipal Solid-State Street Lighting Consortium.
- Evaluating LED Street Lighting Solutions
A presentation on current Municipal Solid-State Street Lighting Consortium activities and perspectives from members who are in the midst of implementing LED street lighting evaluations.
- Municipal Solid-State Street Lighting Consortium Kickoff
A presentation discussing the Municipal Solid-State Street Lighting Consortium's purpose, first steps, and opportunities to participate.
External resources provide various information about LED street lighting.
- LED Street Lighting: A Handbook for Small Communities, available for purchase from the American Public Power Association, provides guidance for small organizations and municipalities considering an LED streetlight retrofit. The handbook provides case studies of small communities that installed LED luminaires, as well as information on how to analyze the costs and benefits of an LED streetlight retrofit and prepare bid documents.
- DOE reviewof the Lighting Research Center's Specifier Report on Streetlights for Collector Roads.