U.S. Department of Energy - Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
Hydrogen Production Research and Development
Funding: Up to $4,000,000
Open Date: 11/12/2013
Close Date: 01/31/2014
Funding Organization: Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
Funding Number: DE-FOA-0000826
This FOA supports research and development efforts to address critical challenges and barriers for hydrogen production technology development. The long-term goal of production and delivery research and development (R&D) is a high-volume hydrogen cost goal of $2–$4 per gallon gasoline equivalent (gge) (delivered and dispensed, but untaxed) to allow fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs) to be competitive on a dollar per mile basis with gasoline in hybrid electric vehicles. More specifically, the portion of the cost goal apportioned to production is <$2/gge hydrogen. Innovative materials, processes, and systems are needed to establish the technical and cost feasibility for renewable and low carbon hydrogen production. With this FOA, the DOE through the Fuel Cell Technologies Office will seek to fund hydrogen production research and development projects in order to move technologies towards reaching the hydrogen production cost goal of <$2/gge. The FOA includes the following topics:
- Topic 1: Integrated or hybrid systems for central, semi-central, or distributed production of low-cost, low carbon hydrogen from natural gas
- Topic 2: Thermochemical conversion of bio-derived liquids for distributed or semi-central production of low-cost hydrogen
- Topic 3: Hydrogen production through direct solar water-splitting technologies: Advanced materials-based systems for direct solar water splitting for central or semi-central production of low-cost renewable hydrogen
For more information, see the full solicitation.
- Concept Paper Submission Deadline: 11/26/2013 5:00 p.m. ET
- Full Application Submission Deadline: 1/31/2014 5:00 p.m. ET
Funding amounts and schedules are subject to change.