U.S. Department of Energy - Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
Natural Gas Vehicle Technology Forum
The Natural Gas Vehicle Technology Forum (NGVTF) supports development and deployment of commercially competitive natural gas engines, vehicles, and infrastructure.
Learn about NGVTF's purpose, activities, meetings, stakeholders, steering committee, and webinars.
Led by the U.S. Department of Energy and the California Energy Commission, NGVTF unites a diverse group of stakeholders to:
- Share information and resources
- Identify natural gas engine, vehicle, and infrastructure technology targets
- Facilitate government-industry research, development, demonstration, and deployment (RDD&D) to achieve targets
- Communicate high-priority needs of natural gas vehicle end users to natural gas equipment and vehicle manufacturers
- Enable fleets and large purchasers to aggregate demand for natural gas vehicles and equipment
NGVTF uses a roadmap developed by the California Energy Commission (CEC) as a foundation for its work. Based on natural gas vehicle (NGV) research, RDD&D gap analysis, and stakeholder views, this roadmap suggests the following would accelerate commercialization of NGV technologies in the market:
- Engine development and vehicle integration
- Fueling infrastructure and storage
- Technical and strategic studies
Read more in the Natural Gas Vehicle Research Roadmap.
Learn about CEC's Public Interest Natural Gas Research.
NGVTF meetings started in 2002 when the forum began, and they are free and open to stakeholders. Join the conversation about natural gas engines, vehicles, and infrastructure, codes and standards, and more by reading about the past meetings linked below.
To receive updates about meetings and activities, contact NGVTF. Examples of NGVTF stakeholders include:
- Original equipment manufacturers
- Vehicle and infrastructure packagers
- National laboratories
- Federal, state, and local government agencies
- Industry and trade associations
- Industry research groups and consultants
- Utilities and fuel distributors
- Fleet operators
- Equipment suppliers
- Nonprofit organizations
- Clean Vehicle Education Foundation
The NGVTF Steering Committee oversees forum activities and channels communication among stakeholders. The committee includes personnel from:
- U.S. Department of Energy Vehicle Technologies Office
- California Energy Commission
- South Coast Air Quality Management District
- Supporting Members: National Renewable Energy Laboratory
NGVTF hosts periodic webinars to inform stakeholders about its progress and the state of natural gas technologies.
For more information, learn about natural gas and natural gas vehicles.