Before you can use copyrighted material on a website or for other digital media, you need to obtain permission from the owner. Copyrighted materials include but aren’t limited to:

  • Content included on a Web page
  • Publications, presentations, and documents and other downloadable files, including PDFs
  • Images, illustrations, photos, and videos.

In the United States, most copyright protection is exclusively granted by the federal government, which provides Congress with the power "to promote science and the useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors...the exclusive right to their... writings."

If someone outside of EERE wants to use EERE's content on their site, they should be directed to the "Copyright, Restrictions and Permissions Notice" on the Web Policies page.

Obtain and Display Permission

To obtain and display appropriate legal clearance and permission before using copyrighted material, follow these steps:

  1. Get written authorization from the copyright owner to post the information.
  2. Display a standard copyright notice.
  3. Recognize that copyright owners are solely responsible for policing how copyrighted material is used.

Don't Post "Official Use Only" and Proprietary Content

Some presentations, reports, and documents may be labeled "For Official Use Only" or "Proprietary."  These files cannot be posted on the EERE website.