Energy.gov File Naming Conventions
When coding a website or application in Energy.gov, follow these file naming convention and directory structure requirements.
When uploading files to download pages, follow these guidelines for naming files:
- File names should clearly describe the file's content.
- File names should not contain uppercase letters, spaces, or special characters (e.g., & or $), but may contain letters, numbers, underscores, and dashes.
- Use "link text" to give your PDFs descriptive names. Without link text your files will be listed by their file names. To edit a PDF's link text:
- Upload a PDF to a Download page OR click "Edit Media" if the file has already been uploaded.
- In the box labeled "Add or edit the link text," enter a descriptive file name.
This example shows how link text can be used:
The Energy Saver Guide's download page demonstrates how to write the link text. The link text for the first file is "Energy Saver Guide: Tips on Saving Money and Energy at Home (PDF)." This is displayed instead of the file name.