Hybrid Vehicles: Cut Pollution & Save Money
Alternatives to internal combustion engines have been tried over the years, but none have outlasted or replaced the gasoline- or diesel-powered internal combustion engine. The Stanley brothers produced steam-powered automobiles between 1902 and 1927, but even their aggressive advertising campaign could not halt the popularity of the "internal explosion engine," as they called it. Chrysler experimented with turbine-powered vehicles from 1954 to 1979, but abandoned the effort because of diffi
Show Full Summary...
Colorado Model Content Standards for Mathematics, Amended 9-15-05, Colorado Department of Education.
Students develop number sense and use numbers and number relationships in problem-solving situations and communicate the reasoning used in solving these problems.
- Use the relationships among fractions, decimals, and percents, include the concepts of ratio and proportion, in problem-solving situations.
Show Full Standards...
RESOURCES / MATERIALS:
The minimum information needed to complete this module can be found in this packet. Additional information, which the students will need to collect, include the following:
• Up-to-date prices of a normal gasoline-powered vehicle and a hybrid electric vehicle.
• Up-to-date prices of gasoline and diesel fuel.
• Average monthly distance traveled by a typical family car, in miles.
• Fuel mileage of a typical family car, in miles per gallo
Show Full Materials...