The use of qualified professionals provides organizations implementing ISO 50001 with the assurance that they are maximizing the benefits from use of the standard. The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) is partnering with the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), energy management experts, and ANSI-ASQ National Accreditation Board (ANAB) to develop these credentialing programs. Qualified professionals will obtain certification to identify opportunities for meeting ISO 50001 requirements or to verify conformance to the standard.
The following training opportunities will be available:
Identifying Opportunities to Implement Energy Management System
The following certified professionals help organizations identify opportunities to meet ISO 50001 requirements:
- Certified Practitioners in Energy Management Systems (EnMS) to help implement the ISO 50001 standard. The Institute for Energy Management Professionals will certify these professionals.
- Certified Practitioners in [Energy System Type] to help conduct assessments and establish procedures for continuously improving the energy performance of these systems. ASME system assessment standards are available for compressed air, process heating, pumping, and steam. Use of the ASME standards is not required for ISO 50001 certification, but aid in identifying energy performance improvement opportunities.
Certifying Conformance to ISO 50001
To certify conformance to the ISO 50001 standard, certified ISO 50001 Lead Auditors will conduct an on-site audit to assess the organization's energy management system for conformance.
Verifying Conformance to Superior Energy Performance Requirements
Facilities seeking Superior Energy Performance (SEP) Certification will need to conform to the ISO 50001 standard and meet energy performance requirements specified by the Superior Energy Performance Program. To verify that a facility meets these requirements, the following certified professionals will need to conduct an on-site assessment at the facility:
- An SEP Auditor to assess conformance to the ISO 50001 standard and additional SEP requirements.
- An SEP Performance Verifier to verify improvements in energy performance.
Become a Certified Practitioner as an ISO 50001 auditor, SEP Auditor, or SEP Performance Verifier
The Institute for Energy Management Professionals will offer exams for SEP Auditor or SEP Performance Verifier. Exams will be available in 2013. You may return to this page for updates or register to receive news and alerts as opportunities become available.
Requirements for Auditors, Performance Verifiers and Certified Practitioners
Professionals will need to seek certification. They will be subject to a rigorous qualification exam and, once certified, periodic professional enrichment requirements.
Requirements for SEP Auditors, SEP Performance Verifiers, and Certified Practitioners are available from the Institute for Energy Management Professionals:
- Direct energy-related work experience in industry or commercial buildings, depending on specialty
- Experience with other management systems
- Other energy-related work experience such as manufacturing, engineering, or research and development