The Clean Energy Manufacturing Initiative will strategically focus and rally EERE's clean energy technology offices and its Advanced Manufacturing Office around the urgent competitive opportunity for the United States to be the leader in the clean energy manufacturing industries and jobs of today and tomorrow.
This initiative will bring together a wide array of relevant EERE and Department of Energy offices, federal agencies, research institutions, and private sector partners to map out and implement a strategy to ensure that U.S. manufacturers are competitive in the global marketplace.
Advanced Manufacturing National Program Office
The Clean Energy Manufacturing Initiative is part of President Obama's Advanced Manufacturing Partnership (AMP). The AMP and National Science & Technology Council (NSTC) have outlined several drivers for manufacturing competitiveness and several courses of action to strengthen these drivers, and have created the interagency Advanced Manufacturing National Program Office to orchestrate multi-agency action. Addressing the full suite of manufacturing competitiveness drivers will require a diverse range of resources.
CEMI provides a strategic integration of the manufacturing work conducted throughout EERE, and close collaboration with industry, policymakers, think tanks, and other stakeholders. Key initiative activities include:
- Increased funding for manufacturing research and development (R&D) across the board, specifically with the goal of growing the clean energy manufacturing industry in the United States.
- Increased focus on energy productivity resources for manufacturers, such as technology and practices for growing U.S. manufacturing energy productivity and competitiveness, including a suite of technical assistance and market leadership programs. This includes:
- Development of competitiveness analysis and strategies that inform R&D investments and other efforts needed to address key barriers to growing U.S. clean energy manufacturing competitiveness.
- A Clean Energy Manufacturing Portal that will aggregate new resources to help manufacturers succeed.
- Regional and National Summits to gain input on national and regional priorities, identify key gaps and opportunities for growing U.S. clean energy manufacturing competitiveness, showcase U.S. clean energy manufacturing activity, and explore national and regional models addressing these priorities.
- New Partnerships to improve U.S. clean energy manufacturing competitiveness.
June 21, 2013
December 12, 2013