FEMP provides expert, unbiased technical assistance to any Federal agency interested in developing a DER or CHP project. Specific assistance can include:
- Screening for DER project opportunities, including combined heat and power screenings
- Conducting site surveys and feasibility studies
- Collecting baseline data
- Providing support for addressing policy and regulatory constraints, including siting and permitting, grid interconnection requirements, exit fees, and backup charges
- Reviewing and verifying design, including component matching and sizing verification
- Developing procurement specifications
- Evaluating technical and price proposal
- Measuring performance
- Monitoring existing systems
If agencies need assistance with project financing, FEMP can help identify appropriate partners (energy services companies or utilities) and assist in navigating the process.
FEMP can often provide technical assistance and support to agencies at no charge. When FEMP funds are limited and agencies have funding available, FEMP can cost share to provide expert, unbiased support.
To access these services, contact your FEMP agency client representative (Excel 28 KB).
Call for Projects
Periodically, FEMP has limited funding to provide technical assistance for Federal energy and water efficiency projects. See the Project Assistance Web page for more information.
FEMP supports a limited number of technology demonstrations to provide independent performance data to Federal decision-makers and support timely Federal adoption of energy saving and environmentally beneficial technologies.