U.S. Department of Energy - Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
Federal Energy Management Program
Market Studies for Distributed Energy Resources and Combined Heat and Power
Federal energy managers may encounter questions when evaluating and deploying distributed energy resources (DER) and combined heat and power (CHP). For example:
- How much capacity is potentially available nationwide?
- Where and in which agencies is this power concentrated?
- What are the economics of deploying DER and CHP?
- What differences does selected technology make?
- What types of buildings are most suitable?
FEMP conducted two market studies in fiscal years 2001 and 2002 to help answer these questions.
DER Market Study: Provides a broad overview of DER potential, focusing on near-term potential in states with the most Federal facilities.
CHP Market Study: Focuses solely on CHP systems and how Federal facilities across the country can benefit from system implementation.