U.S. Department of Energy - Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
Federal Energy Management Program
Energy Cost Calculator for Water-Cooled Electric Chillers
Vary equipment size, energy cost, hours of operation, and /or efficiency level.
- "Base model" has an efficiency that just meets ASHRAE Standard 90.1.
- Calculator assumes user is entering efficiency ratings based on ARI's 1998 Standard 550/590.
- Lifetime energy cost is the sum of the discounted value of the annual energy cost based on assumed chiller life of 23 years.
- Future electricity price trends and a discount rate of 3.2% are based on Federal guidelines.
- $0.06 for electricity is the Federal average price in the U.S.
This cost calculator is a screening tool that estimates a product's lifetime energy cost savings at various efficiency levels. Maintenance and installation costs do not vary significantly among the same product having different efficiencies; so, these costs are not included in this calculator tool. For a detailed life-cycle cost analysis, FEMP has developed a tool called Building Life-Cycle Cost (BLCC). This downloadable tool allows the user to vary interest rates, installation costs, maintenance costs, salvage values, and life expectancy for a product or an entire energy project.