Financial Opportunities by Audience
Solar America Initiative Market Transformation: Solar City Strategic Partnerships
Funding: $7.3 million
Open Date: 10/11/2006
Close Date: 12/12/2006
Funding Organization: Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
Funding Number: DE-PS36-07GO97005
In January 2006, the president announced the Advanced Energy Initiative. An integral part of this initiative is the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE's) Solar America Initiative (SAI). The goal of the SAI is to reduce the cost of solar photovoltaic technologies so that they become cost-competitive by 2015. To complement the R&D and testing/evaluation activities that are the backbone of the SAI, DOE will conduct market transformation (MT) efforts. MT activities fall into two areas:
- Activities that provide technical, regulatory, institutional, financial, and educational solutions to market transformation barriers
- Activities that accelerate demand for new solar technologies primarily through provision of technical assistance.
Several aspects of SAI define it as a new approach for DOE and should be kept in mind by applicants when formulating applications:
- SAI MT is looking to identify and remove market barriers
- SAI MT is looking for significant market-changing activities
- SAI MT is focused on near- and mid-term results
- SAI MT is looking for performers and partners who are committed to the SAI mission.
Technologies addressed under this funding opportunity include photovoltaics, concentrating solar power, and solar water/air heating technologies.
Last updated: 08/03/2009
Funding amounts and schedules are subject to change.