Financial Opportunities by Audience
SUNSHOT INCUBATOR PROGRAM Round 9
Open Date: 11/19/2013
Close Date: 03/13/2014
Funding Organization: Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
Funding Number: DE-FOA-0000923
The Department of Energy (DOE) is supporting the development of tools and approaches that will significantly reduce the costs for solar energy systems across all technology areas (i.e. photovoltaics, concentrating solar power, power electronics, balance of system and non-hardware cost such as customer acquisition permitting, financing, interconnection, and inspection.) As part of the SunShot Incubator program, this funding opportunity is designed to help startup businesses and entrepreneurs develop technologies, innovative programs, and streamlined processes that will make solar more accessible for consumers in the United States. The SunShot Incubator Program is an aggressive pay for performance program focused on helping solar startups rapidly refine and commercialize promising, proven technologies and ideas. The program seeks to accelerate the commercialization of solar energy products and solutions that dramatically lower the cost of solar power. This round of the SunShot Incubator Program is for both hardware and non-hardware solutions that reduce the cost of systems that convert solar energy into electric potential. The SunShot Incubator program consists of five (5) tiers (divided between hardware and non-hardware) to which applications may be submitted:
- Tier 0 includes awards of up to $500,000 with a 20% cost share requirement over 12 months to accelerate the transition from a proof-of-concept of all critical components to an early stage functional prototype.
- Tier 1 includes awards of up to $1,000,000 with a 20% cost share requirement over 12 months to accelerate transition of early state functional prototype to manufacturing and commercially relevant prototype made in the lab.
- Tier 2 includes awards of up to $4,000,000 with a 50% cost share requirement over 18 months to develop the manufacturing processes and equipment to move from a fully developed lab prototype to pilot-scale production.
- Tier 1S includes awards of up to $500,000 with a 20% cost share requirement over 12 months to accelerate transition of proof-of-concept or business plan to alpha capability and early customer trials.
- Tier 2S includes awards of up to $2,000,000 with a 50% cost share requirement over 18 months to transition alpha capability through beta launch and full commercialization.
To learn more about the history of the Incubator program please see: http://www1.eere.energy.gov/solar/sunshot/incubator.html Two Webinars will be hosted by Incubator program staff to walk through program details and answer questions. Further details are provided in the FOA. Please refer back here, to this website and section, for updates on the FOA and schedule.
For more information, see the full solicitation.
Last updated: 11/20/2013
Funding amounts and schedules are subject to change.