Mission, Vision, and Goals
Geothermal resources are domestic, baseload, and produce virtually no greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. They have the potential to make a significant contribution to our nation's energy security, environmental and economic goals.
To research, develop, and validate cost-competitive technologies and tools to accelerate the growth of geothermal energy in the United States.
Geothermal is a major contributor to the nation's baseload energy supply.
Accelerate Near Term Hydrothermal Growth
- Lower hydrothermal exploration risks and costs
- Lower hydrothermal levelized cost of electricity to 6 cents/kWh by 2020
- Accelerate development of 30 GWe of undiscovered hydrothermal resources
Secure the Future with Enhanced Geothermal Systems (EGS)
- Demonstrate 5 MW reservoir creation by 2020
- Lower EGS levelized cost of electricity to 6 cents/kWh by 2030
Increase Speed of Innovation
- Industry alone cannot advance innovation at the rate required to achieve development and power generation targets.
- EERE investment is critical to achieving technology step-change and a greater geothermal percentage of the renewable energy mix.
Reduce Exploration and Development Risk and Cost
- Develop tools and technologies which can both lower cost, and identify new resources.
- Invest in the discovery of blind resources, and establish commercial pathway for EGS.
National Geothermal Data System and Geothermal Data Repository Benefits Entire U.S. Geothermal Industry
- One-stop source for all existing public data.
- Allows more rapid evolution from concept, to exploration and development.
Leverage International Cooperation and Coordination
- Accelerate U.S. technology deployment (e.g. Enhanced Geothermal Systems).
- Accelerate commercial timelines using leverage from international projects.
Conduct Technology and System Validation to Increase Investor Confidence
- Will result in increased and more favorable funding to private sector.