U.S. Department of Energy - Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
Geothermal Technologies Office
Mission, Vision, and Goals
Geothermal resources are domestic, baseload, and produce virtually no greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. They have the potential to make a significant contribution to our nation's energy security, environmental and economic goals.
To research, develop, and validate cost-competitive technologies and tools to accelerate the growth of geothermal energy in the United States.
Geothermal is a major contributor to the nation's baseload energy supply.
Accelerate Near Term Hydrothermal Growth
- Lower hydrothermal exploration risks and costs
- Lower hydrothermal levelized cost of electricity to 6 cents/kWh by 2020
- Accelerate development of 30 GWe of undiscovered hydrothermal resources
Secure the Future with Enhanced Geothermal Systems (EGS)
- Demonstrate 5 MW reservoir creation by 2020
- Lower EGS levelized cost of electricity to 6 cents/kWh by 2030
Increase Speed of Innovation
- Industry alone cannot advance innovation at the rate required to achieve development and power generation targets.
- EERE investment is critical to achieving technology step-change and a greater geothermal percentage of the renewable energy mix.
Reduce Exploration and Development Risk and Cost
- Develop tools and technologies which can both lower cost, and identify new resources.
- Invest in the discovery of blind resources, and establish commercial pathway for EGS.
National Geothermal Data System and Geothermal Data Repository Benefits Entire U.S. Geothermal Industry
- One-stop source for all existing public data.
- Allows more rapid evolution from concept, to exploration and development.
Leverage International Cooperation and Coordination
- Accelerate U.S. technology deployment (e.g. Enhanced Geothermal Systems).
- Accelerate commercial timelines using leverage from international projects.
Conduct Technology and System Validation to Increase Investor Confidence
- Will result in increased and more favorable funding to private sector.