FY 2008 Financial Awards
In 2008, DOE awarded funding to a number of science and research projects to support research, development, and demonstration of hydrogen and fuel cell technologies.
- Administration of H-Prize for Hydrogen Storage
- Hydrogen Education Awards Announced
- Manufacturing Research and Development for Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Systems
- Research and Development for Hydrogen Production and Delivery Technology
- Research and Development for On-Board Vehicular Hydrogen Storage
Administration of H-Prize for Hydrogen Storage
In 2008, the Fuel Cell Technologies (FCT) Office released a solicitation for the administration of the H-prize for hydrogen storage and awarded the Hydrogen Education Foundation.
This solicitation was to identify an organization to serve as an "Administering Entity" to implement the H-Prize, which competitively awards cash prizes to advance the research, development, demonstration, and commercial application of hydrogen energy technologies. The Hydrogen Education foundation was selected for its technical capabilities. This solicitation was not for the prize itself but rather for the organization that would work with DOE to:
- Advertise prize/challenge competitions and their results
- Raise funds from private entities and individuals
- Develop the criteria for selecting winners in prize competitions, based on goals provided by DOE
- Determine the appropriate amount of Federal funding and funding sources for each prize to be awarded
- Provide advice and consultation on the selection of judges
- Protect against the unauthorized use or disclosure of a registered participant's trade secrets and confidential business information.
Hydrogen Education Awards Announced
In 2008, the Fuel Cell Technologies (FCT) Education Subprogram awarded a solicitation to the following entities, under the three topic areas:
State and Local Government Outreach
Clean Energy States Alliance
Connecticut Center for Advanced Technology/Connecticut Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Coalition
Houston Advanced Research Center/Texas Hydrogen Coalition
Ohio Fuel Cell Coalition
South Carolina Hydrogen Fuel Cell Alliance
Technology Transition Corporation
Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals & Energy
Early Market Demonstration and Outreach
Carolina Tractor & Equipment Company
California State University - Los Angeles
Humboldt State University
Michigan Technological University
University of Central Florida
University of North Dakota
The FCT Education subprogram issued this funding opportunity in October 2007 to seek to facilitate near-term market transformation and future commercialization of hydrogen and fuel cells by providing technically accurate and objective information to key target audiences. For more information about this closed solicitation (DE-PS36-08GO98000), please visit the opportunity announcement.
Manufacturing Research and Development for Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Systems
In 2007, the Fuel Cell Technologies (FCT) Office released a solicitation for the manufacturing research and development of hydrogen and fuel cell systems. In 2008, the program awarded the following:
- Topic 1: Alternative Electrode Deposition Processes
- General Motors Corporation
- Topic 2: Gas Diffusion Layer Fabrication
- Ballard Material Products, Inc.
- Topic 3: Novel MEA Manufacturing
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- W.L. Gore & Associates
- Topic 4: Process Modeling of Fuel Cell Stacks
- Alternate—General Motors Corporation (negotiation of award subject to availability of funding)
- Topic 5: Process and Device for Cost Effective Testing of Cell Stacks
- UltraCell Corporation
- Topic 6: Manufacturing Technologies for High Pressure Composite Tanks
- Quantum Fuel Systems Technologies Worldwide, Inc.
This funding opportunity concentrates on technologies that are near commercialization in hydrogen and fuel cell systems manufacturing R&D. Near-term strategies that could result in high-volume production and lower cost of fuel cell technologies and components need to be adopted to set the stage for a fully developed hydrogen infrastructure.
Research and Development for Hydrogen Production and Delivery Technology
In 2007, the Fuel Cell Technologies (FCT) Office released a solicitation for the research and development of hydrogen production and delivery technology. In 2008, the program awarded the following:
- Topic 1: Hydrogen Compression
- Concepts ETI
- Mohawk Innovative Technologies
- Topic 2: Hydrogen Storage for Stationary Applications and Gaseous Truck Delivery
- Lawrence Livermore National Lab
- Lincoln Composites
- Topic 3: Hydrogen Liquefaction
- Prometheus Energy
- Topic 4: Hydrogen Production via Electrolysis
- Giner Electrochemical Systems, LLC
This funding opportunity solicited applications for research and development of hydrogen production and delivery.
Research and Development for On-Board Vehicular Hydrogen Storage
In 2008, the Fuel Cell Technologies (FCT) Office released a solicitation for the research and development of on-board vehicular hydrogen storage and awarded the following:
- Northwestern University
- The Ohio State University Research Foundation
- The Pennsylvania State University
- U.S. Borax Inc.
- The Curators of the University of Missouri
- University of Oregon
- The Regents of the University of California
- Northwestern University
- Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Sandia National Laboratories.
The Department of Energy (DOE) issued this solicitation to complement the existing National Hydrogen Storage Project portfolio. These projects may support existing DOE Hydrogen Storage Centers of Excellence or may be independent R&D projects.
Additional information for industry, academia, and other interested parties is offered via funding opportunity DE-PS36-08GO98004P. Additional information for national laboratories is offered via funding opportunity DE-PS36-08GO98005P.