Data Center Profiler Software Tool Suite
Companies can use the Data Center Profiler (DC Pro) Software Tool Suite to identify and evaluate energy efficiency opportunities in data centers. The suite features a Profiling Tool and a set of System Assessment Tools to perform energy assessments on specific areas of a data center. Some of the following documents are available as Adobe Acrobat PDFs. Download Adobe Reader.
The DC Pro Tool Suite is designed for data center owners and operators who want to diagnose how energy is being used by their data centers and determine ways to save energy and money.
Online version of DC Pro Software Tool
The Profiling Tool is a web-based application and can be accessed from any computer using a browser with internet connectivity. The Profiling Tool is best viewed using:
- Windows Internet Explorer 6.x (32-bit)
- Windows Internet Explorer 7.x (32-bit)
- Windows Internet Explorer 8.x (32-bit) (includes running in compatibility mode)
The tool is hosted by the Energy Management Portal which is based on Microsoft SharePoint Server 2007 technology. Please refer to Microsoft's resource center for more information about client support for SharePoint 2007.
Downloadable version of DC Pro Software Tool
This version of the Profiling Tool can be downloaded to a local computer and installed on the computer to run the tool. System Requirements for the tool are:
- OS Microsoft Windows 7
- Microsoft IE 7 or higher
- 32-bit Operating system
- .NET framework 2.0 or higher
- Administrative privileges on the local computer
DC Pro Profiling Tool
Use the Profiling Tool as a first step to identify potential savings and to reduce environmental emissions associated with data center energy use. Once you acquire your input data, you can complete a profile in a few hours.
- Utility bill data
- System information for IT, HVAC, electrical, and on-site generation
- Overall picture of energy use and efficiency
- End-use breakout—site or source energy
- Potential areas for energy efficiency improvement
- Overall energy use reduction potential
System Assessment Tools
Download the Air-Management Tool now!
Release Date: May 10, 2011
Engineering Reference—provides detailed information on the tool calculations, equations, metrics, and limitations.
Data Collection Guide—provides information on collecting the tool input data.
Air management in data centers is important both for energy and thermal management. The Air-Management Tool is intended mainly for raised-floor cooling with hot/cold equipment aisles.
- Air-handler unit data for calculating Return Temperature Index (RTI) (energy metric)
- IT-equipment data for calculating the RTI metric
- IT-equipment intake temperatures for calculating Rack Cooling Index (RCI) (equipment cooling metric)
- Main input with questions for determining energy savings and recommendations
- Provide air-management recommendations
- Estimate the potential for reducing supply airflow rate and increasing supply air temperature
- Estimate the percentage of energy reduction for fans and chillers
Electrical Systems Tool
Download the Electrical Systems Tool now!
Release Date: January 25, 2010
This tool is designed to help assess the potential savings from efficiency actions in the electrical power chain of a data center, including lighting.
- Basic configuration and efficiency information on electrical system components such as transformers, generators, uninterruptible power supply (UPS), power distribution unit (PDU) devices, and lighting
- Energy use of electrical systems
- Estimate potential savings for various electrical system efficiency actions.
Brochure and Fact Sheet
These resources can help you conduct your own data center energy use assessment:
- Data Center Energy Assessment Process — use this document as a step-by-step guideline for performing an assessment and see which DOE tools are available to help you with each step
- Master List of Actions for DC Pro, Jun. 2008 — this master list contains many of the energy efficiency actions addressed by the DC Pro Tool Suite that you can copy and paste into your data center assessment report
- Standard Report Template for Conducting a Data Center Energy Efficiency Assessment — this fillable document provides a template for your own data center assessment report, including the type of data that should be included.