Updated Steam System Scoping Tool (version 1.0d)
June 20, 2002
DOE BestPractices Steam program announces an updated version of its Steam System Scoping Tool. Version1.0d assists steam operation and management personnel in assessing steam system operations against identified best practices.
This new version of the Steam System Scoping Tool improves on the first version (1.0c), which was released in January 2001. The improvements in the updated 1.0d version were based on:
- Suggestions from six DOE Industrial Assessment Centers that tested the tool during one-day industrial steam system assessments
- Feedback from members of the BestPractices Steam Technical subcommittee.
The Steam System Scoping Tool is a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet that contains eight worksheets:
- Basic Data;
- System Profiling (steam costs, steam benchmarking, steam system measurements);
- Steam System Operating Practices (steam traps, water treatment, insulation, leaks, water hammer, equipment inspection);
- Boiler Plant Operating Practices (boiler efficiency, heat recovery equipment, steam quality, general boiler operation);
- Distribution, End Use, and Recovery Operating Practices (use of steam turbines, condensate recovery, utilizing flash steam from condensate);
- Summary Information (Scoping Tool score results); and
- Next Steps (additional BestPractices Steam tools and resources).
Download the Steam System Scoping Tool, version 1.0d (MS Excel 93 KB).