U.S. Department of Energy - Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
Advanced Manufacturing Office
Mechanical Insulation Assessment and Design Tools (Calculators)
The Mechanical Insulation Assessment and Design Tools (Calculators) were developed to provide assistance for common calculations used in the design and analysis of mechanical insulation systems.
Separate calculators are included for:
The Advanced Manufacturing Office (AMO) and the National Insulation Association (NIA), in conjunction with its alliance with the International Association of Heat and Frost Insulators and Allied Workers (International), are working together to design, implement, and execute the Mechanical Insulation Education and Awareness Campaign (MIC).
MIC is a program to increase awareness of the energy efficiency, emission reduction, economic stimulus, and other benefits of mechanical insulation in the industrial and commercial markets. The potential of mechanical insulation to play a significant role as a tool to reduce energy intensity is immense. However, the lack of sufficient data to support energy efficiency potential, combined with a deficient understanding of what mechanical insulation is and how it could be utilized, impedes policy makers and actors in industrial and commercial sectors in making a supportable case for increased use or maintenance of mechanical insulation. While current uncertainties hinder mechanical insulation from playing a larger role in energy efficiency decisions, the MIC was created to meet two key initiatives:
- Educate industry about and promote the benefits of mechanical insulation by providing practical data and case studies outlining potential energy savings provided by mechanical insulation installation; and
- Launch an aggressive public education and awareness campaign to combat climate change and improve energy efficiency.
The suite of Mechanical Insulation Assessment/Design Calculators was developed by the MIC.
The calculators are designed for use by:
- Corporate executive management
- Design professionals (general, mechanical, and process engineers and contractors)
- Energy and environmental consultants and/or service companies
- Facility owners and managers(across all industry segments)
- Federal, state, and local energy and environmental offices
- Heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning designers and contractors
- Maintenance managers and coordinators
- Engineering educators
- Mechanical insulation industry participants (manufacturers, distributors, contractors, etc.)
- Refrigeration designers and contractors
- Utilities/energy supply companies (all types)
The calculators are housed at the National Institute of Building Sciences' Whole Building Design Guide (WBDG) Web site under the Mechanical Insulation Design Guide (MIDG). Calculators can be used online without any specific software requirement, and you can print the results page for each calculation.
For More Information
For more information, use the comment page or contact the National Insulation Association help desk at email@example.com or 703-464-6422.
More software tools