2009 Peer Review Meeting
In March 2009, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Solar Energy Technologies Program (Solar Program) held a Peer Review Meeting in Denver, Colorado, which is a Solar America City.
Solar Program staff, industry partners, and researchers from national laboratories and universities met to discuss projects funded by DOE in fiscal year 2008 and related developments.
The following documents are available as Adobe Acrobat PDFs. Download Adobe Reader.
Project Peer Review
Presentations and reports with feedback on each topic and individual project are available in the following technology areas:
- Photovoltaic Research
- Concentrating Solar Power Research and Development
- Evaluation, Validation, and Analysis
- Market Transformation Activities.
Solar Program Peer Review
After reviewing individual projects, peer reviewers evaluated the Solar Program, giving feedback to DOE program and laboratory staff. Opportunities, challenges, and potential future activities were discussed. The following documents include presentations given at the Program Review, papers, and summaries about its conclusions.
- Executive Summary from Summary Report (PDF 248 KB)
- Detailed Summary Report (PDF 794 KB)
- Program Review Overview (PDF 2.7 MB), Joseph M. Morabito, Alcatel-Lucent
- Mission, Vision, and Organizational Overview (PDF 1.5 MB), John Lushetsky, Solar Program
- Solar Energy: Market Trends and Dynamics (PDF 2.6 MB), Robert Margolis, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Photovoltaic Subprogram Overview (PDF 666 KB), Marie Mapes and Scott Stephens, Solar Program
- Concentrating Solar Power Subprogram Overview (PDF 816 KB), Tex Wilkins, Solar Program
- Systems Integration Subprogram Overview (PDF 194 KB), Dan Ton, Solar Program
- Market Transformation Subprogram Overview (PDF 938 KB), Tom Kimbis, Solar Program
- Systems Analysis and Recommendations for R&D and Accelerated Deployment of Solar Energy White Paper (PDF 645 KB), Joe Morabito, Alcatel-Lucent; Terry Peterson, Solar Power Consultant; Greg P. Smestad, Sol Ideas Technology Development & Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells Journal; and Kevin DeGroat, Antares Group. Comments on the paper are also available.
Prior to the peer review, the following summaries were presented through Webinars to provide information on the Solar Program's four subprograms and an overview of the peer review to the reviewers.
- Photovoltaic Subprogram Overview (PDF 1.6 MB), Marie Mapes and Scott Stephens, Solar Program
- Concentrating Solar Power Subprogram Overview (PDF 2.7 MB), Tex Wilkins, Solar Program
- Systems Integration Subprogram Overview (PDF 289 KB), Dan Ton, Solar Program
- Market Transformation Subprogram Overview (PDF 1.6 MB), Tom Kimbis, Solar Program
- Overview of Peer Review Process (PDF 49 KB), Kevin DeGroat, Antares Group
The following presentations were also given during the meeting.
- Luncheon Speaker—Building Solar Power Plants: The Road So Far, Robert Hemphill, AES Solar
- Luncheon Speaker—Process Development and Integration Laboratory (PDF 3.1 MB), Brent Nelson, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Luncheon Speaker—The Outlook for the SmartGrid, New Developments and Implications for Solar Energy, Steve Hauser, GridPoint, Inc.