Accelerating Solar Deployment
The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) SunShot Initiative accelerates large-scale deployment of solar energy technologies by reducing non-hardware balance of system (BOS) costs and eliminating market barriers that affect solar installations.
DOE partners with manufacturers, communities, universities, utilities, and other stakeholders to ensure that new solar innovations transition smoothly and affordably into the marketplace.
Reducing Non-Hardware BOS Costs
- Customer acquisition
- Financing and contracting
- System design and engineering
- Permitting, interconnection, and inspection
- Installation and performance
- Operations and maintenance
Eliminating Market Barriers
To accelerate deployment of solar technologies, DOE supports the following efforts:
- SunShot Prize: America's Most Affordable Rooftop Solar Competition
- Rooftop Solar Challenge to Induce Market Transformation
- Solar Projects to Reduce Market Barriers and Non-Hardware Balance of System Costs
- Solar Outreach Partnership