U.S. Department of Energy - Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
Weatherization & Intergovernmental Program
SERC Technical Assistance
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) is available to provide Technical Assistance, or "TA," to the local weatherization agencies and Grantees which are implementing the Sustainable Energy Resources for Consumers (SERC) projects. Technical Assistance requests may include technology-specific questions, project management, and contracting such as developing requests-for-proposals or specifications, among other topics. The goal of technical assistance is to help the SERC projects succeed within the conditions and guidelines of the program. When contacting NREL, please include your State, and if you are a local agency, also include the name of your organization.
If you are a SERC local weatherization agency or grantee and would like to request technical assistance, please email your specific request to SERC_TA@nrel.gov.
Please note this email address is only for local weatherization agencies and Grantees implementing SERC projects. The Weatherization Assistance Program's Technical Assistance Center is located at http://www.waptac.org/. To request general technical assistance, please visit the Solution Center.
SERC Monitoring Checklists
NREL has created 11 monitoring checklists to assist in the inspection of SERC technologies. The checklists will walk inspectors through the technology, prompting thorough and methodical checks for quality, functionality, durability and client satisfaction. Although the technologies will be inspected by a trained technical expert, the checklists may be helpful for all professionals overseeing SERC installations. For more information, please refer to the Monitoring SERC Technologies webinar series listed below.
Ductless (Mini-Split) Heat Pump Systems
Energy Behavior Modification
Ground Source Heat Pump
Heat Pump Water Heater
High Performance Windows
Home Energy Monitors
Solar Hot Air
Solar Hot Water
Tankless (On-Demand) Hot Water
Archived SERC Webinars
NREL hosts Technical Assistance Webinars for SERC grantees and DOE Project Officers, as explained in the presentation here. You can watch recordings of past Webinars on the following topics:
Monitoring SERC Technologies Webinars
- November 3, 2011 — Monitoring Ground Source Heat Pumps
- October 27, 2011 — Monitoring Solar Thermal (Hot Water)
- October 20, 2011 — Monitoring Solar Photovoltaics
- October 4, 2011 — Monitoring On-Demand/Tankless Water Heaters
SERC Technologies Webinars
- April 11, 2011 — Cool Roofs
- Feb. 22, 2011 — Efficient Residential Water Heaters
- Jan. 25, 2011 — Photovoltaics for Residential Buildings
- Jan. 11, 2011 — Community-Based Social Marketing for Weatherization Programs
- Dec. 14, 2010 — Residential Geothermal Heat Pump Retrofits
- Nov. 30, 2010 — Passive Solar Building Design and Solar Thermal Space Heating
- Nov. 16, 2010 — Solar Water Heating.