Rulemaking for Commercial and Industrial Fans and Blowers
Recent Updates | Public Meeting Information | Submitting Public Comments | Milestones and Documents | Related Rulemakings | Statutory Authority | Contact Information
DOE has published a Federal Register notice of public meetings regarding the Commercial Fans and Blowers Working Group. 80 FR 27601 (May 14, 2015). Please see below for locations and start times.
DOE has published Federal Register notice regarding commercial and industrial fans and blowers. 80 FR 24841 (May 1, 2015). DOE as completed a secondary provisional analysis of the potential economic impacts and energy savings that could result from promulgating an energy conservation standard for commercial and industrial fans and blowers. This secondary provisional analysis uses a different regulatory approach. DOE expects to discuss the details of this notice at the Fans and Blowers Working Group meetings beginning May 6th.
Unless otherwise specified above, the meetings will be held at U.S. Department of Energy, Forrestal Building, 1000 Independence Avenue, SW., Washington, DC 20585.
- May 18, 2015: 12 pm - 6 pm
- May 19, 2015: 8 am - 3 pm
- June 3, 2015: 9 am - 5 pm (950 L’Enfant Plaza, 7th Floor, SW Washington, DC)
- June 4, 2015: 8 am - 3 pm (950 L’Enfant Plaza, 7th Floor, SW Washington, DC)
- June 22, 2015: 12 pm - 6 pm
- June 23, 2015: 8 am - 3 pm (950 L’Enfant Plaza, 7th Floor, SW Washington, DC)
- July 21, 2015: 9 am - 5 pm (Air Movement and Control Association International, Chicago IL area)
- July 22, 2015: 8 am - 3 pm (Air Movement and Control Association International, Chicago IL area) and
- August 4, 2015: 9 am - 5 pm
- August 5, 2015: 8 am - 3 pm
- August 6, 2015 (if needed)
To attend the meeting and/or to make oral statements regarding any of the items on the agenda, email firstname.lastname@example.org. In the email, please indicate your name, organization (if appropriate), citizenship, and contact information. Please note that foreign nationals participating in the public meeting are subject to advance security screening procedures which require advance notice prior to attendance at the public meeting.
Persons can attend the public meeting via webinar. Please register here for webinar series here.
The commercial and industrial fans and blowers energy conservation standards rulemaking docket EERE-2013-BT-STD-0006 contains all notices, public comments, public meeting transcripts, and supporting documents. For the latest information on the planned timing of future DOE regulatory milestones, see the current Office of Management and Budget Unified Agenda of Regulatory and Deregulatory Actions. All planned dates are preliminary and subject to change.
|Notice of Proposed Determination
- Notice of Proposed Determination, Federal Register, 76 FR 37678 (June 28, 2011)
- Notice of Public Meeting and Availability of the Framework Document, Federal Register, 78 FR 7306 (February 1, 2013)
- Framework Document
- Public Meeting scheduled February 21, 2013
- Public Meeting Agenda
- Public Meeting Presentation
- Public Meeting Transcript
- Extension of Public Comment Period, Federal Register, 78 FR 12251 (February 22, 2013)
- Extension of Public Comment Period, Federal Register, 78 FR 26544 (May 7, 2013)
- Comment deadline: closed
|Notice of Data Availability
Notice of Data Availability II
DOE is also considering a test procedures rulemaking for commercial and industrial fans and blowers.
Title III of the Energy Policy and Conservation Act of 1975 (EPCA), as amended. Part A-1 of Title III of EPCA (42 U.S.C. 6311-6317) establishes the "Energy Conservation Program for Certain Industrial Equipment,” which covers certain commercial and industrial equipment (referred to as "covered equipment").
EPCA specifies a list of equipment that constitutes covered commercial and industrial equipment. (42 U.S.C. 6311(1)(A)-(G)) The list includes 7 types of equipment and a catchall provision for other types of industrial equipment classified as covered the Secretary of Energy (Secretary). EPCA also specifies the types of equipment that can be classified as covered in addition to the listed equipment, and the criteria that must be met. This equipment includes fans and blowers. (42 U.S.C. 6311(2)(A) and (B))
To classify equipment as covered commercial or industrial equipment, the Secretary must determine that classifying the equipment as covered equipment is necessary for the purposes of Part A-1 of EPCA. (42 U.S.C. 6312(b))
For more information related to this rulemaking, please email: